Skip to content Skip to footer

What Plants Are Poisonous To Cats And Kittens?

what plants are poisonous to cats and kittens
Flowers and plants are beautiful decorations to your house and definitely help to lift your mood, purify indoor air and play as an esthetic factor, so without thinking you put them in your living room and continue your daily routine. Then after some while, you see your kitten acting weird and looking like she does not feel great. You get worried! The problem is there are many plants, your cat or kitten can not have around because it can poison them. To avoid this situation, you need to know what plants are poisonous to cats and kittens?


In this short guide, you will find a list of toxic plants for cats and also plants that you can still have in your house and feel safe. If you want to check the full list of toxic and non-toxic plants, you can find it on ASPCA website.

When kittens are developed for exploring and jumping, this is the time when it gets more dangerous because they can jump or eat some peace from the houseplant. If there is some toxic plant for the kitten she might get some seeds or pollen on her fur and during the cleaning process, it can get into the digestive system and cause very serious problems, sometimes it can be even fatal.

PLANTS THAT ARE POISONOUS TO CATS AND KITTENS

  1. Lilies 
toxic plants for kittens
Lilies

I love lily flowers, but even for me time to time this blooming plant gives a headache and a kind of weird feeling, so it is even worse for cats. There are many types of lilies out there that are toxic for small kittens or cats, for example, Asiatic Lilies, Peace Lilies, and Daylilies. 

Lily plants can cause acute kidney injury, AKI, and toxicosis. Unfortunately, all parts of this beautiful flower cause health issues and can be very dangerous for your cat, even the water where you keep them. So this is why lilies are the most poisonous plants for cats and please never use them at home. 

  1. Pothos Plant 
plants
Pothos Plant

It is also called Devils Ivy because it is very difficult to kill and stays green even in dark, so from a human’s point of you it is easy to look after, but it is toxic for kittens and cats. This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate that causes vomiting and irritation in the mouth only if ingested and not touched, and it is not dangerous to cat’s life. 

Aloe Vera
  1. Aloe Vera

From my childhood, I remember how we had one at home and every time as a kid I had some bruises from playing around with kids outside she put aloe vera on my skin. Therapeutic for humans, but unfortunately if eaten by cats can cause vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy. Vets say that the gel part is safe to eat, but actually, the thick layer around it is poisonous for cats, so be aware. 

  1. Daffodils
Daffodils

These flowers are also called paper white and jonquil and are toxic not only for cats but other animals. According to information provided by ASPCA, cats can not be around daffodils. Crystalline lycorine which is mostly found in bulbs is the toxic element in these spring flowers and causes vomiting, diarrhea, and shivering if consumed. 

  1. Snake Plants
toxic plants for kittens
Snake Plant

The snake plant does not need match light and helps to provide oxygen, so it is quite famous plant in people houses. This plant contains saponins chemical ingredient and when a cat chews or consumes it can cause swelling, vomiting, and diarrhea. Usually, symptoms are mild and will affect your pet only with consumption. 

  1. Dumb Cane

This strong plant does not need a lot of direct sunlight, and it is related to New World Tropics in Mexico. After chewing a stem of this plant, humans can be speechless for some while, that’s where dumb cane gets its name from. It can grow up to 180 cm long. All types of dumb canes are toxic to cats when ingested. Symptoms are swollen mouth, vomiting, and drooling. 

These are only six plants poisonous to cats and kittens, but the full list can see here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list

SYMPTOMS OF POISONING IN CATS

There are all sorts of symptoms possible that are greatly different depending on what plant was ingested. It is good to know all of them to react fast: 

Gastrointestinal symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting. 

Symptoms of irritants: Red, watery eyes, swelling, itchiness and irritation around the mouth. 

Other important symptoms: fast or irregular heartbeat, heavy breathing, drooling, difficulty swallowing, and often urination. 

Sometimes cats are very good at hiding how they feel because of surviving instincts, but hopefully, this helps you to notice early when something is wrong with your cat’s behavior. 

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CAT CHEWS OR EATS A TOXIC PLANT?

If you suspect that your cat was poisoned by a plant at your home, do not wait too long, take a photo of the plant if you are not sure and contact your vet. Remember, your pet can have health issues not only by eating a plant, but just chewing, having on skin, or in fur. 

Do not give any medication to cause vomiting before you speak with a professional veterinarian and only when it is very clear what plant it is a vet will be able to identify the best solution to help. Do not panic, if the cat has some pants on her, just take them off before you go to the vet’s office. If you do not take a photo of the plant, then make sure to take some peace with you.

Hopefully, you will never need to deal with your cat or kitten getting poisoned, and this article on what plants are poisonous to cats and kittens will help you to recognize red signals faster. It is better to be safe and check with your vet or any emergency number rather than regret it later.

WE HAVE OTHER POSTS ON HOW TO TAKE CARE OF KITTENS SUCH AS:

https://petfoodreviews.net/can-kittens-drink-milk/

https://petfoodreviews.net/kitten-constipation-causes-and-treatment/

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435.

Leave a comment

0/5